Around the world, health concerns have made it more important than ever for people to rely on technology. Social distancing measures in many areas prevent people from visiting with friends in person. Additionally, large distances or physical disabilities can make it nearly impossible for some to visit with friends in-person.
Even if you can’t visit with friends in person, though, that doesn’t mean that you have to give in to loneliness. There are many easy-to-use technologies that make it possible to visit with friends around the world through video chat, audio calls, and instant messaging.
If you’ve never used a program like Zoom, FaceTime, or Skype before, don’t be afraid to try them! This simple step-by-step guide will teach you everything you need to know to get back in touch with your friends and family.
Get Started with Zoom
Zoom is a video chat program that you can use for one-on-one video visits or for large virtual family reunions.
The first step to using Zoom is to download the program. If you’re using a desktop or laptop computer, you’ll want to download the Zoom Client for Meetings. If you’re on a phone or a tablet, download Zoom from the Apple App Store or from Android’s Google Play.
Join a Zoom Meeting
To join a Zoom meeting, you’ll need a series of numbers called a Meeting ID. Ask your friend or family member who is hosting the Zoom meeting for the Meeting ID, and they’ll be happy to share it with you. Your friend or family member hosting the meeting may have set up a password as well, so be sure to ask for those numbers as well!
Once you have the Meeting ID, and password if required, your next steps depend on what device you’re using.
On a Laptop or desktop
- Go to zoom.us/join in your browser.
- Enter the Meeting ID and click Join.
- If prompted, enter the meeting password.
- If prompted, click the Open Zoom Meetings pop-up button to open your Zoom Meeting Client program.
On a Phone or Tablet
- Open the Zoom app.
- Click Join a Meeting.
- Enter the Meeting ID and your name.
- If prompted, enter the meeting password.
- Click Join.
Making a FaceTime Call
FaceTime is an app that you can use on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to make video and audio calls to a person’s phone number or email address. To make a FaceTime call on one of those devices, follow these steps:
- Ask your friend or family member for their phone number or email address, if you don’t have it already.
- Open the FaceTime app.
- Tap the Plus (+) button and enter the phone number or email address.
- Tap the Phone icon to start an audio call, or tap the video camera icon to start a video call.
Skype is a video and audio calling program for Windows computers and devices. To get started with Skype, download it to your device. Then, start the program and click Create New Account. Skype will guide you through the process of creating a new account, and then you’ll be ready to use that account to make calls. Be sure to write down your selected username and password somewhere safe.
Starting a Skype Call
If you’d like to call someone on Skype who has called you before, then just select them from your Skype Contacts list and click the Audio button or Video button to start an audio or video call.
To call someone who you’ve never talked to on Skype before, follow these steps:
- Select People, groups and messages at the top of your screen. It will have a little magnifying glass icon beside it. (Note: This button may also be called “Search” on some devices.)
- Type in the name or email of the person you’d like to call.
- Select your friend or family member from the search results. This will automatically open a conversation window.
- Type a short message and hit Send. When your friend or family member sees your message, they’ll approve you as a contact, and then you’ll be able to call them from your Skype Contacts list as described above.
While new technology can seem overwhelming, it’s worth noting that none of these programs require more than four steps to make a call. You can visit with friends during this time of social distancing. With a little practice, you’ll be chatting with your friends and family more frequently than ever!
Contact the Davis Community’s Assisted Living and SNF in Wilmington NC
If you or a loved one are in need of help living a safe, active, and independent lifestyle, call the Davis Community today at 910-686-7195 or simply complete and submit our online information request form. We provide exceptional assisted living and skilled nursing services in Wilmington, NC. We offer a strong and supportive environment where your loved one will feel welcomed and part of an active community. Davis Community is pleased to offer customized concierge home care services, including meal preparation and nutritional guidance, to independent seniors living in Landfall, Cambridge Village, Wrightsville Beach, and Porter’s Neck, NC. Get to know the difference today!